Friday, March 2, 2012

Homemade Mozzarella Sticks

So I feel like I'm on a bit of a roll after recreating that amazing Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese and now recreating this tasty appetizer. Neither item is healthy but both are incredibly tasty and super easy to execute.

I found this lovely recipe on Pinterest. I might spend a few hours here and there on the site, but it's quality time! I made this yesterday afternoon and surprised my husband with this treat while he was outside playing with our son. We ended up tailgating in the truck of my SUV in our garage. It was a fun time.

After reading the recipe and combing over other people's reviews I came up with a game plan on how to execute this. I felt pretty confident using these egg roll wrappers after overcoming my fear of frying wonton wrappers a couple of weeks ago.

The outcome was fantastic. I fried them as the recipe called for, but I might try and bake them next time. I hesitate to though because I worry about the texture. Texture is really important for this treat. The flavor is mild so you need the texture to compensate a bit. Serve it with a really good quality marinara sauce. This also helps compliment the mild flavor. I had no issues with the cheese melting out of the egg roll wrapper.

I've adapted the recipe.

Ingredients

  • 12 pieces string cheese
  • 12 egg roll wrappers
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1-2 cups Italian flavored Panko breadcrumbs
  • Oil for deep-fat frying
  • Marinara or spaghetti sauce

Directions

  • Place a piece of string cheese near the bottom corner of one egg roll wrapper. Fold bottom corner over cheese. Roll up halfway; fold sides toward center over cheese. Moisten remaining corner with egg; roll up tightly to seal. Brush egg all over the outside of egg roll wrapper and roll in panko. Press down firmly to make sure panko sticks, as needed. Repeat with remaining wrappers and cheese.
  • In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. I set the dial to 6.
  • Fry sticks, a few at a time, for about 1 minute or so on each side or until golden brown. Keep a close eye on them so they don't over cook. Drain on paper towels. Serve with marinara sauce.
  • Yield: 1 dozen.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Mozzarella-Sticks-2?pmcode=IKLDC05S&_mid=838832&_rid=838832.650200.781355/


5 comments:

  1. Arrgh! You're killing me with these non-vegan recipes! Must. eat. cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never be a vegan. I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If those were in front of me, I'd eat them. All.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you enjoy torturing me???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must try these! I'll try and bake them and let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete